On 26 July 1941, the German authorities established a ghetto in Białystok for the Jewish population of the city and the surrounding area. On August 3, 1941, a decree was issued forbidding the residents to leave the ghetto under pain of death. Less than two weeks later they were also forbidden to shop in the Aryan part of the city. Inside, rationing of food began and it was given only to working people. In the beginning it was 0.5 kg of bread a day, with time this was limited to 0.3 kg. Hunger began to spread inside the ghetto walls. The Jewish population was helped by local Poles who, despite the threat of being sent to a concentration camp, illegally sold them food. One such person was Adolf Adamski from nearby Niewodnica. In addition to Adolf, the following should also be mentioned: Bronisław Grom from the village of Fasty, Antoni Kasabuła from Konowali, Piotr Zachowicz from Rogów, Zygmunt Żmojdzin from Zastawia. The ghetto in Białystok was finally liquidated on 20 August 1943.
No extra materials